Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day over the years

As a young girl, Mother's Day was when we went down to Grandma's house, and played at the close-by park with our cousins. As a teenage girl, Mother's Day was when I couldn't hang out with my friends because I 'had' to stay home. As a newlywed, Mother's Day was a reminder that I wasn't really a mother. When I had young children, Mother's Day was a day of tears because I thought it was going to be a sweet, refreshing, perfect day and it always turned out to be filled with cranky kids, hungry tummies, and all the other stresses of daily life. I'm not sure why I thought it was a day for me to be the Queen. I feel bad about my own selfishness and lack of understanding of the holiday. Now that I am a Grandma, I think I might be finally catching on to the true meaning of Mother's Day. It is a day when we should show love to our Mothers and Grandmothers. It is a day to show love to the old ladies in the neighborhood......especially those whose children don't come to visit them very often. I wish I would have caught on earlier. Mom is now gone, and I often wish I could express my love to her. I wish I could make her something on my sewing machine because she always enjoyed homemade gifts. I wish I could call her on the phone and have a nice little chat. She was a good listener, and a wonderful friend to all us kids, to her grandkids, and to her neighbors. Today, Mother's Day was a great day! I got to visit on the phone or visit in person with each of my kids. I love those sweet arms wrapped around my neck. I hope the grandkids understand some day how special they have made me feel on Mother's Day.

No comments: