Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A shovel, some dirt, seedlings and seeds, and a girl

Growing up, I have to admit that weeding the garden was NOT one of my favorite things to do. But lately I've been really enjoying working in the yard. So far this Spring, I've added carnations, grape vines, gladiolas, raspberries, zinnias, Sweet William, marigolds, another new peony, day lillies, Texas Bluebonnets, pansies, columbine, and daisies. The hollyhocks and asparagus are waiting for me to figure out a good place for them. Then we'll do the veggie garden with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and peas. It was so nice to be outside with birds singing and hopping around looking for worms, airplanes flying over, a breeze blowing, the sound of a metal shovel moving dirt and rocks, Oliver (green yard wagon) hauling tools and rocks around where I needed them, and the cheerful sunshine keeping things plenty warm. I really enjoyed my day.

Yesterday I started wearing a pedometer just out of curiosity, to see how many steps I make per day. Yesterday I walked 6,901 steps. Today's total is 13,807. Today I went for a walk with an old friend, so that boosted the number for sure. Seeing the number there on my belt makes it seem like exercising is fun! The older I get, the more I realize just how much of a visual learner I am. If I see something in writing, I'm much more likely to remember it, than if someone just tells me something aloud. Are any of you Visual Learners?

No comments: