Monday, July 14, 2008

Aunts and Uncles

So far along my journey in life, I have become several things: a daughter, a sister, a friend, an aunt, a girlfriend, a wife, a daughter-in-law, a sister-in-law, a Mother, a teacher, and a grandmother. Each role brings me a variety of skills to practice. As I think back to the years when I lived with my siblings and parents, I remember visits made to my Aunts' and Uncles' houses. They sure were good people. There was something special about each one of them. Mostly I liked their hugs and cheerfulness. One made pretty jewelry out of rocks, one made doll furniture out of willows, one had lots of kids to play with, one had horses, one had a beautiful music box, one had a silver Christmas tree with colored lights that rotated onto the tree, one had a big room where she sewed curtains and made quilts and had family get-togethers, one made the best scalloped potatoes ever, and my twin aunts.......they were so much fun! 17 of 20 of my Aunts and Uncles have now passed away. While I miss them, I am so thankful for all the love they showed to me along my pathway of growing up. I love them. Now that I am one of those 'old generation' Aunts, I'm wondering what I can do to help my nieces and nephews along their paths in life........ maybe give them hugs and cheerfulness...... I'll try!

No comments: