Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sometimes things just aren't what they seem

Today was supposed to be just a regular day. You know, Thursday. Sun shining outside. Floors needing swept. Dishes in the sink. Laundry in a heap waiting for attention. Living room ripped apart. White flecks tracked throughout the entire house. But then I remembered I was going to IKEA with Anne! I got dressed in clothes that weren't speckled/globbed with sheetrock mud. My feet got to wear normal shoes, not globby ones. My hair got to be fixed because I wasn't staying home all day alone. So exciting to go hang out with a new Friend and her little boy, Hazen. Anne married Duane's nephew, but today was the first time we got to go have fun together. It's so fun to be an Auntie. Hazen sat so patiently with his little legs hanging from the seat of the cart. His grin is just so cute. Anne and I jabbered on while we feasted our eyes on all the colorful things in that store. She has had a lifetime of experiences and it was nice to learn about her family and to see her happy with Jason and their son. I came home so happy for having been with them.

When I got almost home, I got the feeling that I should go back a few streets and go to Lowe's. But I didn't WANT to go to Lowe's. I've been there practically every day for a week or more. But I did flip a U-ee and went back. When I got there, they had 6 gallons of nice paint ($31. per gallon) on their mis-tint table. Someone had it mixed up, then changed their mind. So I got it for only $5. per gallon, and it was just what I wanted! Good thing I went back, eh? While I was in Lowe's, I ran into my Visiting Teaching companion. She's a single Mom and was trying to put up some plank and cinderblock shelves in her garage. She'd already made several trips in her little car. She was so happy when we made a plan for her to get the rest of what she needed, and I'd follow her home with it in the truck. She got her boards and told me she had been worrying about how to get the planks home. Good thing I went back, eh? I am so happy today! I love the people in my life who let me in to their lives and let me share my love. I have plenty to go around, you know. Everyone always helps me, and I like when I can help somebody back.

So, today I learned that today wasn't what it seemed. I learned that families aren't always what they seem..... open the door to family and let their sunshine in. Today I also learned that when a feeling comes, you should listen and obey. The next thing I need to learn is how to get to work on the ceiling again....I'm ready to be done.

No comments: