Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Technology this, and technology that

Today I noticed that I have a ton of technology in my daily life. There's a snazzy clock at the side of my bed that tells me the time, wakes me up, lets me snooze and plays the radio....not like my Grandfather who woke up with the sunlight and stopped for lunch when he got hungry or was at the end of a row of plowing. For getting ready in the mornings, there's an electric shaver, an electric blow dryer, an electric toothbrush, lights that come on with the flick of a finger, hot running water, and a nice furnace. Not like my Parents, who did everything 'by hand' and who had an outhouse, round metal bath tub and NO electricity for many years. In the kitchen there is a plethora of technology: electric griddle, electric blender, toaster, bread maker, rice steamer, mixmaster, electric knife, stove, microwave, orange juicer, more hot running water, waffle maker, sandwich crimper, george foreman for meat cooking, and a myriad of other things that make life nice. Man, my Mom only had a very few of those things in her later years. Then there are all different kinds of knives for the kitchen, washer and dryer for laundry, an iron for unwrinkling clothes, electric blankets, electric saws, drills, vacuums, and all sorts of other tools that are 'manly' but that I use, too. I'm thinking of the cars, pickups, motorcycles, trailers, Olivers, lawnmowers, snowblowers, and tons more that I see being used around the neighborhood. Not to mention the computers, ipods, cell phones, laptops, etc., etc., ETC.. Wow! One would think that with all the time I save by using all these nice technology products, that I would have plenty of time to read books, make quilts, make homemade bread, care for an acre garden, do bushels and bushels of canning, clean the house, make soap, make butter, milk the cows, rock the babies, etc. Wait a minute.....without all the gizmos, Mom made time to clean, cook, bake, tend babies, do laundry, ETC.....something's wrong with this picture!

No comments: