Friday, September 11, 2009

On Being Blind

Our power keeps flickering, so last night my Man called the Power Co. and they came right out. Tomorrow they are coming back to find the place under our driveway (hopefully not the NEW part) where the faulty cable is. Then we 'get' to dig up some concrete, get the wiring fixed, and then fix the cement. Yippee! While the power guy had the power off to the house, I got the brainy idea that I would just go about my business as if I were blind. I found my way to the clothes dryer in the pitch darkness and proceeded to take out one article of clothing at a time, and put them on hangers. I was pretty proud of myself....until the light came back on, and I could see what I had done! Things were wrong side out, nearly falling off the hangers, his clothes were mixed in with mine (I usually hang mine together, and his together, then grab a handful of hangers and just have to plop them onto the closet rod). But it made me wonder how people who are really blind ever do things.....like slicing a tomato, taking care of children, doing their hair, or typing on a computer. Life would sure be different/difficult.

Also last night, the top of the agitator broke off my washing machine. I decided to be a Farm Girl and take care of it myself. So, this afternoon I took the serial, model, and parts number and went to the Parts Shop, and ordered a new one. Go me! Just $7! No worrying!

One more 'event' from last night.... the poor messenger at the hospital who gave me the bad news, in his desperateness to calm me, told me I could eat regular food last night, and I would still be okay. So I let me have pickles and mustard on my sandwich! It tasted SO GOOD! The popcorn shoppe at the mall SMELLED SO GOOD! But I didn't let me have any of that. Maybe another day.

I also let me have a new pair of jeans and some new earrings. Who says little things don't lift your spirits? They sure lifted mine. :) This morning I added yellow shoes and a yellow shirt, and it seemed like I should feel happy, so I did!

No comments: