Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Things I remember about my Dad:
he had big hard-working hands and used them to provide a living for Mom and all us kids.
he milked cows morning and night, morning and night for many years.
he fed and took care of all the farm animals.
sometimes he got mad and cussed at said animals.
he could stack hundreds of bales of hay into a nice square stack.
he didn't get the heebie-jeebies while tromping wool fleeces (with ticks) into the bags.
he fell asleep nearly every time he sat down.
he irrigated in the middles of the night.
he worked at the Sugar Factory in winters to help earn more money for our family.
he needed medication for chemical imbalance. He could have been so much happier and kinder (to Mom, mostly).
he sat on the edge of Mom's bed and sobbed every day after she died, until he died 7 months later.
he could scoop the frozen-solid-as-a-rock ice cream with his big strong hands.
he always knew where the momma kitties had hidden their litters of kittens.
he kissed my Mom twice that I remember seeing.
he cried only one time that I can remember.
he loved us. He did his very best. He lives in Heaven now. I like to hope that he feels better and is happier. I bet he is. ☺

3 comments:

Skousen Seven said...

I loved yesterday! I've read a lot of tributes between the blogs and facebook! Your dad does sound like a great person, who tried hard to provide for his family:) You turned out awesomely and have raised such a beautiful family!! Love and miss you!

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

Nice reminiscing--we were blessed to always have our needs met, weren't we? You forgot to mention that he could wiggle his ears and make stuffed animals come to life. He was also a champion at "use it up, wear it out; make it do, or do without." He could invent tools to make Mom's life easier, and he could repair things with baling wire and a piece of twine. He loved to fish, and when he drove through the countryside, he liked to have his left arm resting on the open window. He was also obsessed with punctuality--school buses and getting to church on time. What fun--look what you started!

aprilhoyt said...

how fun! what a good tribute!