Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cows

There is something about cows that just makes me feel so glad from head to toe. Perhaps it is the nice contrast of their black and white markings (REAL cows are ALWAYS black and white). Or maybe it is their big black eyes. Maybe it is the way they swish their tails to chase off pesky flies. Whenever I see a REAL cow, memories of growing up on Dad's dairy farm come trickling through my brain. In the old barn, it was so cold, you could see their breath as they were getting milked. I can see Dad in his gray zig-zag/striped coveralls sitting on his homemade wooden milking stool as he got the last few drops out of their udders. Maybe the reason he put his head on their side tummies was to let their warmth heat him up a little. It seems like it was cold for 10 months out of every year! Course, it's still seems that way to me, so maybe I am just stuck being cold all the time. I'm happy for sweaters, jackets, and the many colors of fleece. In the new barn, the stantions (sp?) were raised up and Dad could just walk along and take care of things without having to sit down. He and Mom worked so hard for us kids! Today I went for a long walk and somehow ended up in a store called Tuesday Morning. In my head, I said, "You can only buy one item in here." ......but that was before I found their cow stuff. They had cow brooms, cow hammers, cow pliers, cow measuring tapes, and cow puzzles. What a find! Lately I've noticed that the foods cows make possible for us, are very tasty.....yogurt (Boston Creme Pie is so yummy), Tillamook cheese, string cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, chocolate milk...... those farmers and their cows really make me happy! Even the smell of manure coming into the car window on a long drive brings back sweet memories of the Farm. I love being a Farm Girl. And, I love and appreciate cows. I'm so happy we have cows. (not mentioning the many great flavors of beef)

No comments: