Growing up, our farms were within the same mile stretch of road, and our families had kids of similar ages. Our parents were friends. The kids were friends. We all hauled hay together. We ate ice cream and watermelon together. Our Dads shared the irrigation water, the road, fences and their friendship. Haderlies were the hikingest family ever. They hiked every trail on every mountain at least once or twice. The parents guided our hikes at Stake Girls' Camps for many years. I loved having them stay overnight with our Ward because it was almost like having my own parents there....and when it's your first or second time away from home (ever), that means alot. When they got older, they let their horses do the hiking and they still went up and over all the mountains. Their Mom taught elementary school, so in the mornings they had to get ready early. Often while we were waiting for the school bus to come, Frank would be sitting in our kitchen visiting with Dad about happenings around town, how the neighbors' crops were doing, and about which piece of their farm equipment was headed to the shop next. Frank liked to be a Friend. When I got old enough to go to college, when I got letters from Home, they would often tell about how things were going with the farmers on our road. Mom loved having Lois stop in for a friendly visit while she was out walking. Mom was in a wheelchair and couldn't get out, so having Lois come was such good therapy for her. They got to talk about 'girl things.' Every time there was a snowstorm (and in Idaho, there were plenty of them!), Frank would come up on his tractor and front loader and scrape out my parents' driveway so they could get out if they needed to. They sure appreciated his service to them. Speaking of his tractor, it was a John Deere, and it made a special sound. On summer nights when kids slept out under the stars, I could tell when Frank was out baling hay by the sound his tractor made. Back in the day, we all called each others' parents by Mom and Dad, and whatever their last name was. Mom Haderlie took me swimming for the first time in my life. Dad Haderlie baptized me. Mom Haderlie shared her secret for teaching elementary school with me. I've used it many times. She said, 'teach the children to do their best in everything they do.' It's rather difficult to talk about Frank without talking about Lois. They were such a strong team. My favorite picture of them is of the two of them, in older years, sitting on a 4 wheeler together. How sweet is that! Good-bye my good friend, Frank. Thank You for everything you've done for our family. I will miss You.
Rustic Red, White & Blue Nesting Boxes
5 weeks ago
1 comment:
They are SO happy to be together- no doubt! I respected them, too and it always made me feel good when they'd ask me a question or something. That they even knew who I was was pretty cool to me! :) I remember how excited we got over the calendars and pencils and things! :D
Post a Comment