Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rearranging the Yard

I'm tired of working indoors.
Outdoors would be better.
So I got out all my tools
And a hose to make things wetter.

I trimmed back the lilac
And another little shrub.
I mixed up gallons of blue stuff
In a big metal tub.

I Miracle-Gro'd the perennials
And gave everything a drink.
I sat down on the swing
'cuz that's my favorite place to think.

I thought about the apple tree
Still living in a pot.
I thought about the poppy
Who needs a brighter spot.

I thought about the tomato
Who didn't do too well.
I thought about the snails
Who grew out of their shells!

I got so warm and comfy
Sitting on the swing.
I didn't mean to take a nap,
But new strength it did bring.

I cleaned up all the paint tools
and put them all away.
I mowed the lawn and trimmed the vine
And worked away the day.

Some people came to see us.
We gladly invited them in.
We showed them the new living room,
Then a thought came flooding in.

"Please come see our BACK yard"
I heard myself say.
When I asked them for a favor,
What could they say?

They helped us move the swingset
Clear across the yard.
By the way they were sweating,
I could tell the job was hard.

They didn't want to linger.
I'm not sure why.
If they ever come back,
I'll be sure to serve them pie.

So now the sapling apple
Has 2 nights in the pot.
Then he's going to be planted
In a place that's not too hot.

I'll dig holes for the swingset
So we can cement them in.
Then the Grandkids won't keep sinking
In the mud up to their chins.

Now that I've had some cereal,
And the sun has gone down.
I'm back inside the house
And I'm trying not to frown.

In every room there's something
that is only halfway done.
I better get busy and
finish at least one.

I love working outside.
I got it from my Mother.
Tomorrow on the swing
I'll be thinking up another.....project.