Today's kids are so much like we were as kids. So many things are the same. They need to be loved, like we did. They need to learn to read, like we did. They need to learn manners, like we did. They need to eat their veggies, like we did. They take baths, get haircuts, and go to Grandma's house....just like we did. But there is one thing I've noticed they do that is different from the way we did things..... we played outside alot with our siblings and occasionally with neighboring kids. Kids nowdays don't play with anyone much. They go home from school and play Wii, Xbox, some other video game, or watch TV until their parents arrive home from work. Of course, not ALL kids do this, but many of the ones I work with in reading, are pretty much loners and are not used to sharing/cooperating/or working together with anyone. The other day one of my second grade students was reading along and he came to a sentence that started out with 'We will.....' He just could not get past it. He kept on saying We wii, we wii, wii, wii....he wanted that printed 'will' to say 'wii' because he was used to that word. I so wanted to get him past it and say: 'wee wee wee all the way home', like when counting a babies' toes, but I refrained and just told him the word, and we moved on. But I've thought about it many times since then. (now stepping onto my soap box) TV and games have their place. They bring us the news, they give us something to do when we need a few minutes of 'down time' and they help our minds to keep moving when our bodies are too tired. Even some TV/game time can be good for kids: educational shows, a reward for finishing up their chores, a few minutes of Sesame Street or equivalent educational show while Mom gets things ready for the next round of family goings-on, or while she exercises, or sneaks in a much needed nappy on the couch near the kids. BUT, children who come to school barely able to stay awake, much less focus or learn, should have their parents spanked! Kids need more sleep than parents do. They need to go to bed by 8 p.m. Kids need more hugs, more lap time, more stories read to them, more owies kissed, more encouragement, and yes: a few spankins, a few 'thou shalt nots', and very few tongue lashings (if any). Kids need brave parents. We have alot of strong and brave parents all around us. I see them in my neighborhood. I see them at the school. I see them in family pictures in most every living room around. You guys are doing a great job! Keep up the good work! We (the old guys) are standing behind you to lean on when you get too tired. You can do it! Thanks for helping us older folks to have great things to look forward to..... your kids raising their kids. :) (stepping down from my soap box now. thanks for listening) I had a great week and am looking forward to another one. I have 2 Christmas bathrobes sewn, and the next one laid out for cutting. It's so nice to not be in a big hurry, or have a nearby deadline to have them all done. I'm loving thinking of my Little People while I leisurely sew for them. And just for the record..... I still enjoy outside chores better than inside chores.
Rustic Red, White & Blue Nesting Boxes
5 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment