Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Gift Ideas

Tonight I have been thinking of gifts we have received and gifts we've given to others over the years. What a special part of Christmas, the gifts are. It is fun to think of the people we love, and suit a gift to their liking. When it comes to the neighbors, we mass produce those so we can give to everyone around. In the early years when we didn't have much money to spend, we made wreaths of pop corn on a paper plate and filled the center with leftover halloween candy. One time we made snowmen with marshmallows and toothpicks. The best part of it was all of us gathered around the kitchen table having fun together. I doubt the neighbors were so thrilled with our sticky fingered productions. When the kids got older, we would buy packages of cookies and candies and make plates to share. We had a blast sneaking them up to the doors, and running away after ringing the doorbell. One time the driveway was ice-covered and one of the kids took a bad fall. They had a large bump under their rib cage for a long time, so we stopped that practice. Too bad we have to stop running when we get old! The last few years, it has been fun to give the neighbors a cute kids' book or two to read. No sticky fingers. No running. No messed up kitchen. Just something fun to do when one comes upon a few quiet moments. Most children bring home book orders from school, and there's usually a couple books for only a dollar apiece. I love that!

One of our received gifts that still makes us laugh was when a neighbor sent their kid to our front door with a nicely wrapped package. Of course we put it under our tree and waited for Christmas morning. It had been ice cream! What a mess! Gotta love it!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I think I LOVE to bake and so I will, and if there's any left, we'll share with the neighbors! :D I've decided not to stress over it. In fact, I toyed with the idea of making a few plates up and only giving them to people that come to bring us treats! :D That'll show em! :D