Monday, January 26, 2009

It's all about Atitood

Today at work, all the students had been rearranged into small groups for Reading instruction. Every child in the school gets to work on their own level and speed. It's a marvelous program! They were grouped in the Fall. Then we re-tested them before Christmas, and today the new groups took effect. After the first Power Hour, and all the Paras (I'm also a Para) were coming back into our work room, I just couldn't help but notice something. My chair is near the door, so most conversations go right past my ears. Some people were coming into the room saying things like "THAT was a mess!" or "My groups were SO mixed up!" or "I liked my groups the way they were...I don't like the changes." And then there were some people who came in saying things like "well, that was interesting! It will be better tomorrow" or "What fun changes!" or "I like my new groups already!" Same assignments. Same teachers. Same responsibilities. Different attitudes. Different lip muscles....frowns and smiles. I find I'm drawn to those who have good attitudes and try not to complain. They help me to have a better attitude. Complainers make me want to stay away from them. Nice that I get to choose, eh? I like my life so far.

No comments: