Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why do we make things so hard?

Last week I spent money to go sit in classes and learn things about our written language. Every day I go to work and help young children learn how to read our written language. Today I attended my next-to-the-last training meeting where I learn how to teach children to read with fluency, accuracy, and a bunch of other big worded definitions. When I come home, students come to my house where I help them with homework, time them when they read certain passages, get them ready for spelling tests, help them write reports, etc., etc. But you know, my favorite resource for tidbits of wisdom always come out of the mouths of children. I love how they think. I love how they express themselves. I love their pureness. And I think they should get a 'say' in how the English language functions. Over the years, I've written down the fun things they've said, but they're not in any sort of collection. I wish I had done that. For example, just last week, the little boy (who's growing taller and taller) who comes here to the house, was looking through the little container for an eraser. He finally found the one he wanted and held it for me to see. He then said, "This is the betterest one. It works good." Tell me why it can't go: bet, better, betterest. It makes perfect sense. It's so much easier to understand than: good, better, best. Analyze the spellings of those words..... they don't belong together at all. Why do we make English so complicated? I vote we go simple from now on. Let's start rite now! :)

1 comment:

aprilhoyt said...

LOL!!! I completely agree!! English don't make no sense!! how do kids ever learn it??