One of my little first grade students who struggles so hard to learn to read, did something that amazed me. Yesterday she was reading her flash card words upside down, and she read them much better than when she does it right side up! One of the other ladies suggested I try letting her read a book upside down, just to see. I tried it today. I couldn't believe it..... she read the entire book with hardly any help at all! She even started on the right hand side, and moved her eyes right to left across each line. What's up with that!? So, now it's my job to tell her that she can't read upside down anymore......I think her brain might be wired that way. Yesterday she was re-reading a book. She turned to the last page and said, "This is my FAVORITE page of the book because it doesn't have any words. It's just a picture to look at." Perhaps that helps explain the slow progress.....the pictures are more valuable to her than the text. I'll keep trying. :)
Rustic Red, White & Blue Nesting Boxes
5 weeks ago
1 comment:
Wow! That is really interesting! You know, some of my special needs mom friends have commented on how some of their kids love to watch TV upside down. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way the brain flips the image that the eye sees and all that... maybe it's easier for them to skip that step! Wow! She'll be a great teacher someday, being able to read to her class while showing them the pictures!! :D
Post a Comment