I love my job! I love helping children learn to read. I love listening to them at recess time as they talk to each other. I love hearing their 'Hi Mrs. _______' in the lunch line as I'm walking by. I love the other teachers and paras. Seriously, I can honestly say that I love my job. They gave me the cutest ever tutor students, enjoyable assignments in several classrooms, and a good seating spot in our room. No complaints. I'm still giggling about the principal's announcements over the intercom one morning. She said, "Students, please remember to wash your hands often. Please use the hand sanitizer provided in the containers around the school. If you need to cough or sneeze, try and use a tissue to cover your mouth, or use the crook of your elbow. DON'T PICK YOUR NOSE." One teacher even added to his classroom, 'and don't eat it.' While we all sort of sickly laughed at the announcements, we have seen all those things happen, so it was sorta 'reality.' We are seeing many absences from sickness, and hope not to get sick ourselves.
Last night I experienced an unusual almost sweet moment with an elderly friend of mine. She lives a few doors away and over the years, we've developed a form of mother-daughter relationship, since she has no daughters of her own.....and since I don't have a mother nearby. She called on the phone and asked if I could come over and help her find her son's phone number (she can't see well....she's weeks away from being 90 years old). She invited me in and encouraged me to sit with her at the kitchen table and visit. She was trying not to cry. She said she got the news earlier in the day that she has cancer. Wow, what does one say to that? Her frail little hand reached out and took my hand in hers and I let her hold it as long as she wanted to, and cry as long as she wanted to, and reminisce as long as she wanted to about people I've never heard of. I reminded her that her husband and parents love her very much and have been waiting for her arrival into Heaven, and that she doesn't need to be afraid to die. It's okay to go. I'm not exactly sure where the strength came from because my insides were not wanting to have to tell her good-bye, but we had a good visit and a good hug before I left. I wonder if her family will have her go through a surgery. I wonder if she'll be able to make it through that if they do....
Tomorrow is Saturday. I get to stay home! I get to plant a dozen mums/Fall perrenials/be outside! I get to do some laundry during daylight hours! I might get to take a nap on the porch swing in the sunshine! I will get to finish the dishes! Perhaps I can go to the teacher store and do some laminating! Tomorrow is going to be a fun day! :)
Sewing Room Model 1:12 (ish)
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment