Wednesday, October 21, 2009

109 coal cars

Good thing I learned some patience on another day because today I had to take it out of my back pocket and use it. One of the kindergarten teachers instructed me to have the kids write some sentences... for crying out loud! They don't even know how to write most of their letters yet, much less make a word out of them, leave spaces between some 'letters' (words) and no spaces in other places, and what do you mean 'only certain letters need to be capitalized'? Some of their parents taught them to write everything in caps! It was frustrating for me to be frustrating the children, but I tried to be patient. When I was asked to give up my Friday prep time and give an extra reading lesson to one of my students, I almost forgot about the patience supply, but I can just bring home work every night so I can stay caught up.... yeesh. A little later in the day, we had an Intruder Drill. I didn't hear them announce over the intercom that there was a pretend intruder on the inside of the building, so I didn't hustle over to the proper side of the room right away, and when I did, all I could think about in the silence was 'man, here go all my prep minutes!' Oh well. Soon: Ahhhhhh, the last bell rang. Time to go home. On the second corner of the drive, I had to wait for a TRAX train (carries commuters and other folks around town). The traffic light stayed red a really long time. Alas! It turns green and I go around that one corner. There are more flashing lights starting up, and another train tracks. I am first in line...almost wanted to hurry across, but brought out a smidge more patience. Most of the cars were heaping full of black coal bits, so I tried to remember that somebody somewhere would keep warm this winter with all that fuel. I shifted the truck into park, sat back, and counted all the cars while pretending I was being patient. I didn't think I would EVER get home before my tutor student arrived, but I made it.

My man was nice and stopped at the grocery store/pharmacy, then he came home and fixed dinner. Wow, thanks, Man. :) Since there were no trees needing to be removed after dinner to relieve some stress, I took some scissors to the mums instead and gave them all haircuts from the old dead blooms. Their little sighs made me sigh, too. I thought about taking a picture of the blister on my birdy finger from the scissors and posting it here, but changed my other mind. Ahhhhhhhh. What a day! I hope patience knows how to multiply/grow while I am sleeping.....

2 comments:

Diana said...

We must be related! I had one of THOSE days today, too!! Every time I turned around, something else was falling apart, crying, calling me from school, not sleeping, etc., etc, etc. I like your attitude, though. I should look at it as an opportunity for patience. :)

HunsakerMama said...

Ha, ha! Before I read what you wrote about being patient, I posted on my blog about how I learned that from you! I should have remembered how you taught us to count train cars, instead of be angry about catching a train. I thought for a second you were going to say your birdie finger had a blister on it from "flying it" too much that day! :)