Yesterday I had the day off, so the night before, I took everything off the walls in the blown-apart living room and scrubbed the walls down and picked up some paint. There were 2 gallons of base/undercoat, 2 gallons of very light blue/steel gray, and one gallon of one shade darker blue/gray. I carefully sorted the paint cans out with their partners, and put the dark one clear across the room so I wouldn't get them mixed up. (they all looked the same, so we were going by the info stickers on the lids) Painted for several hours. Got the primer all rolled and trimmed. No problem. Started rolling on the lt. color. No problem. Opened up the second gallon of light paint and did several walls of trim.... by hand, small paint brush, up and down, up and down the ladder. Darrin and Kelly stopped by, so we put them to work. Dad came to help. 3 people painting---we were making awesome progress! Problem. One gallon was dark paint with wrong lid on it. Cripes! Thanks man at the paint counter at Lowe's. Not. Re-rolled and re-trimmed. Ran out of paint. Went and got another gallon. Lady gave me a third color....even though I pointed out the color to her at least 3 times on the little color card. It looked okay when it was rolled onto the walls, but the longer it dried, the more apparent it became that it was NOT the pale color we thought we had. Crap! We had used it to finish a couple walls, and spot check on the other walls. Came pretty close to swearing. Sorted and re-sorted the cans of paint. Darrin and Dad figured out what was what. Re-painted the walls AGAIN and this time all the trim matched with the walls. Yippee! Ran out of paint AGAIN. Went and got one last gallon. Tried not to cry. My friend showed up at Lowe's (she had been here at the house coaching me through earlier in the morning, what a trooper she is) and basically held my hand while I tried to make sure they gave me the right paint. Came home. Finished rolling and trimming. Borrowed a grandchild and sat downstairs in the rocker watching 'Sleepless in Seattle' until I calmed down. Tonight I scrubbed down the blinds and got them back up. Tomorrow I'm going to rest. :) What I learned: if you're going to use more than one shade of paint, make sure there's an easily detected contrast between the two..... like: black, and white!
Rustic Red, White & Blue Nesting Boxes
5 weeks ago
4 comments:
I've been working on my gumption to do some painting. I am now not persuaded! I am excited to come see your progress!
Just go to a REAL paint store like Sherwin Williams to get your paint. It'll be beautiful! Go for it! Freshly painted walls are so invigorating. They trick you into thinking you have something brand new. :)
Ohhhhh, I love painting!! And I think the colors you picked are very nice. :)
I would say your trouble started with the person behind the paint counter, not the paint! I'm sorry they did that! Just think, though, with so many coats, you won't have to repaint for like forever!! :D
Post a Comment