Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Scissors

While sitting in the pump-up chair at the place where they cut my hair, I realized just how important scissors are in our lives. Scissors cut our hairs so we look fresh and not all shaggy. Scissors cut the little plastic things that hold the tags on our new clothes (imagine if we all had to wear the tags!). Scissors cut paper, so we can make pretty things. Scissors cut cloth, ribbons, thread, and pattern pieces so we can sew our own clothing if we want to. Scissors cut yarn when you are crocheting and you want to change colors. Scissors cut out pictures and things for Primary kids. Given the opportunity, scissors can cut things that make us sad, but mostly, scissors are our friends. You need scissors to make paper snowflakes. You need scissors to cut a little hole in the plastic packing of the DVD you just bought. Tiny little scissors on your husband's pocket knife thing can trim a fingernail. Great big scissors can cut a ribbon for a new business in town. My personal favorite use of scissors is to cut lamination with. I love to make copies of paper things, run them through the laminator, and then cut them out and make tidy little stacks of laminated 'kits.' I saved up and have a nice paper cutter, a fine copy machine, and will next purchase a laminator. When I die, you can all come on over and laminate the funeral programs!

1 comment:

Diana said...

You know, I never really thought about scissors all at once like that. :) So true! I don't realize how often in a day I use scissors until I can't find any! :D lol I just recently cut out 4 little girls dresses and their linings, so, lemme tell ya, I love scissors, too! ;) I also, just today, cut off some pant legs that had holes in them and made 4 nice new pairs of shorts and capris! I also have a tiny pair that I used to cut threads on some pretty embroidery I worked on today.