Thursday, September 25, 2008

Well, I WOULD, but

Well, I WOULD add a picture of my new hairstyle, but I haven't liked it yet.
And, I WOULD put up a picture of the finished living room, but I need to clean it.
I WOULD be looking forward to the weekend, but I have tomorrow off, so it's here!
I WOULD go to bed early, but I took a little nappy and I'm wired.
I WOULD like to sew tomorrow, so I cleaned up in there tonight. :)

Why does the word 'stood' get to have just 2 simple 'o's, but would could and should have to put up with o, u, l, and d? What a pain for those guys. They make the same sound. 'oul' doesn't even sound like 'oo'....it sounds like foul, and oh ya, soul. Silly English language. And they expect us teachers to make sense of it for children. I'd personally like to re-do it. There's got to be a way to fix the fact that you only change the beginning sound of 'home' and 'come', but their 'o's sure don't say the same thing. Why can't 'come' be spelled like it sounds: kum? By the way, why do we have 2 letters that both make the same sound...... c and k? All the other letters have their own sound....except the c makes 2 sounds: s and k. I say we take out the c. Truck can be spelled 'truk' just fine. Ther ar ubout a milyun and a haf of thengz lyk that. Don't get me going!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I have a theory about this... you know how our English came from British English? Have you ever listened to the way a British person talks? They pronounce each letter. I think us rebellious Americans just wanted to be different, so rather than have a reason for changing it, we just did it because we were brats and didn't want to be associated with our oppressors (at the time). :D My favorite is to hear a Brit say "aluminum." They say al-yew-min-ee-um. :D