Usually a reading lesson at school looks like this: flash cards of high frequency words, cold read from a leveled text, word work (word families and spelling), and then re-reading of stories from the last week.
The reading lessons at home look something like this: help child complete homework, practice spelling words, study vocabulary words, word work, a few math story problems if there's time, and fun reading if there's time.
But, today's reading lesson went like this: help child complete one or two questions on their homework, wait while he wiggles his loose tooth, coax him into writing answers for one or two more questions, wait while he pushes his tooth almost straight out of his mouth with his tongue, try to get him going again......talk him into letting me have 'one twist' with my fingers on his tooth, tooth comes out, get child a drink of cold water and put said tooth in a baggie, let him look at his toothless smile in the mirror, head back to the living room where he reads and reads and reads (with a cute little whistle in his new empty space) and finishes his homework with NO coaxing. Totally focused. His ride comes to get him and he leaves happy. ~sigh~ I love my job! :)
Rustic Red, White & Blue Nesting Boxes
5 weeks ago
1 comment:
:D I would say that's a pretty perfect lesson! :D Emily's top teeth are both loose- one more than the other. She keeps saying she knows if she "pops" it, it will get looser and come out, but that she doesn't want to. She even said, "good thing Grandma's not here, I'm not ready for my tooth to pop!" :D I always had the hardest time doing that because I just KNEW it was going to hurt! It was always over quickly, but I just couldn't make myself do it! And so I sympathize and we do nothing about her loose tooth. We need to come visit you again! ;)
Post a Comment