Early this morning, we needed to go to Hubby's work and give blood and do some other things for their Health Wellness Program. They give us a cheaper insurance rate if we do it once a year. Since I knew they would weigh me, I decided to weigh myself here at home before leaving, just so it wouldn't be so shocking when I got there. Duane was still sleeping (it takes me longer to get ready) so I was trying to be quiet, and not turn on any blaring lights. Well, the scales are digital, so I figured it might be a lighted dial as well. I forgot my glasses on the nightstand, so I couldn't see much. Here's how it went: stood on the scales. Stepped off. Picked up the scales to bring the numbers closer to my face. Screen is blank. Guess you have to be standing on them to get a reading (concept). Plan B: stood on the scales. Stepped off and squatted down to the floor to read the numbers. Took too long....by the time I got down there, the numbers had gone away (they usually stay there for 3-4 seconds). Plan C: go get my glasses and turn up the bathroom light......wall-ahhh! That's the way to see clearly how much one weighs. :)
When we got to the place to have our blood taken, there was a lady sitting at a computer at the reception table. We walked up. She looks at us and says: "You'll first need to declare your gender." I burst out laughing, nervously, and I'm sure my face went red because it felt hot. Having never been asked that question before, I wasn't sure what she meant, but it didn't sound good to me. I said, "We have to WHAT?" My brain was hurrying to process this request and figure out why everyone else in the room was standing around so 'normally.' Maybe she didn't ask them that question...... She points to our printed off papers and says something about the boxes for male and female, and we need to make sure the proper box has an X in it. OOOOOOOOOOhhhh....I can do that. There's audible snickering behind me. (I didn't turn around to see who it was.) I told her she needed to find another way to tell people to check their papers for accuracy, besides telling them to 'declare their gender!'
Most of the time, it's okay that my brain thinks differently than most folks' do. But on days like today, it is definitely a problem!
Rustic Red, White & Blue Nesting Boxes
5 weeks ago
4 comments:
Oh Wow!!! This is why I love your blog. Guarenteed laugh with every click. I like the weighing in the dark!!! Ü
:D LOL Both of those sound like things I would do! We must be related! ;) If Geoff's work made him do that today they would cut off our insurance based on how sick he is! :P I'm looking forward to this being DONE!!
Once I decided to step onto the scales in Brad & Jan's house in Colorado. We were enjoying a tour of their new house, and everyone was close by. Much to my horror and surprise, the scales blurted out my weight like it was yelling in a megaphone! It never occurred to me that with her macular degeneration, Jan had needed and found "talking" scales! Scales just can't be our friend--not ever!
Next time use your cell phone for a little flashlight.
Post a Comment