Sunday, March 15, 2009

My newest hobby

At the Writing Forum I attended, they suggested that I get a notebook and pack it around. Whenever I have a few minutes to just look around, I should make lists of things. I should practice being descriptive, and noticing details. So today I packed my new pink notebook to church with me and started making lists on the first page...... and the second page...... There is a list of colors of people's clothing. Not just basic colors, but a color, and then an object that is that color. For example: salmon blouse, blood red shirt, blue plaid, etc. There is a list of hair descriptions....now, THAT was a fun list to make! You should all try this sometime! But my favorite list was descriptions of what people were doing during the meeting. OH. MY. LANTA! Scratching itchy heads, picking lint off themselves, picking their noses, eating string cheese, popping zits, chewing fingernails, sleeping, and the list goes ON and ON! I had no idea church could be so interesting! I have to say, though, that the guy sitting behind me, WHO WAS READING MY NOTES OVER MY SHOULDER, Man! I wanted to smack him!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I've done that a few times on the advice of creative writing teachers. :) I still have one under my bed in case I think of a really good story point I want to write about someday. :) How dare he read over your shoulder!! :D Geoff and I love to people watch and make up stories about what we think people are doing, where they're going, what they do for a job, why they wore that shirt today... :D WAY FUN! :D